Pet Commission FAQ


Celebrate your pet with a custom painting!


Pricing

Plain background painting on:

Acrylic paper  $300 (21 x 29.7cm)  A4

Stretched canvas $350 (20.3 x 25.4cm) approx. A4

Stretched canvas $700 (30.5cm x 40.6cm) approx. A3

Prices include tracked shipping via NZ Post. You can have up to two pets in one painting. I usually pick out a shade from your pet’s eyes or fur/feathers to create a harmonious plain coloured background for the painting. If you have a colour in mind, let me know and I can go with that.  If you’d like more than two pets, a non-plain background or a different size, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to accommodate your budget.

Acrylic paper or stretched canvas?

If you’d like to put your painting in a frame, acrylic paper is the best option. Acrylic paper is a thicker type paper (similar thickness to a business card) embossed with a canvas texture and primed with gesso. I use acid-free, lightfast and extremely age-resistant acrylic paper.

On the other hand, if you’d like to hang your painting directly on the wall, stretched canvas is a great option and is also light. It’s made from 100% cotton canvas that has been stretched over a wooden frame. The difference in price between acrylic paper and stretched canvas paintings comes down to the additional cost of the stretched canvas itself, the extra painting required for the sides and the higher packaging and shipping costs.

Longevity

I only use artist quality paint offering excellent permanency and lightfastness. All acrylic paintings also have an isolation coat and varnish applied to them. This means your painting should have no problem with fading etc. and should easily last a lifetime (given it’s not hung in direct sunlight!). 

I use varnish to bring all the different colours and layers of paints together, creating a more uniform appearance and also to protect the painting from dirt, dust and ultraviolet radiation. An isolation coat separating the paint and varnish is applied as standard practice. While varnish can be removed and reapplied, the isolation coat is permanent. Should you ever want the varnish removed and reapplied, the isolation coat will protect the paints underneath from solvents. 

Process

  1. Send me an email here.
  2. We'll chat about what you’d like. I want to create something you’ll love so will take all of your suggestions into consideration and also let you know what I think would look best.
  3. I’ll ask you to send me some photographs of your pet(s) that you'd like the painting based on and we'll discuss and pick the best ones to use. Clear and high-resolution photos are extremely important toward helping me achieve good result. If you're unsure, please have a look at my photography guidelines to help you take a good photo.
  4. If you have more than one pet, I'll create a digital draft of the composition and send it to you to check you're happy with it.
  5. I’ll confirm when I’ll be able to start and finish the painting. For A4 sized paintings, it usually takes up to 2 weeks from the day I start painting to finish working on it and an additional 1-2 days to ship via NZ Post. Larger paintings will require additional time to complete.
  6. I’ll request a 20% deposit as confirmation of the order (non-refundable).
  7. I’ll begin painting, updating you on my progress as I go.
  8. When the painting is finished, I'll send you some photos and check if you’d like any adjustments made.
  9. I’ll request the remaining payment and the painting is yours!


Comments

Follow me on Instagram